google.com, pub-9220471781781135, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Learn to speak English: Wait and await

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wait and await

I am awaiting for my friend. (Incorrect)

I am waiting for my friend. (Correct)

Speakers often mention what or who they have been waiting for.

Example:

  • Who are you waiting for?
  • I am waiting for my friend.
The word await means wait for.

It is not followed by the preposition for.

It takes an inanimate object.

Example:

  • He is awaiting your reply.

The object of await is not a person and the word await is used in letters, emails and poetry.

Mary is awaiting me. (Incorrect)

No comments:

Summary of Paradise Lost Book 4 by John Milton

Satan lands atop Mount Niphates, just north of Paradise, the Garden of Eden. He becomes gripped with doubt about the task in front of him; s...