google.com, pub-9220471781781135, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Learn to speak English: Telephone Language and Phrases

Monday, November 8, 2010

Telephone Language and Phrases


Answering the phone

·       Good morning/afternoon/evening, Geetha Stores, Rani speaking.
·       Who's calling, please?


Introducing yourself

·       This is Ram speaking.
·       Hello, this is Murugan from PR Transports.


Asking for someone

·       Could I speak to Dr. Raju, please?
·       I'd like to speak to Dr. Raju, please.
·       Could you put me through to Dr. Raju, please?


Explaining

·       I'm afraid Dr. Raju isn't in at the moment.
·       I'm sorry; he's in a meeting at the moment.
·       I'm afraid he's on another line at the moment.


Putting someone on hold

·       Just a moment, please.
·       Could you hold the line, please?
·       Hold the line, please.


Problems

·       I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you repeat that, please?
·       I'm sorry; I can't hear you very well. Could you speak up a little, please?
·       I'm afraid you've got the wrong number.
·       I've tried to get through several times but it's always engaged.
·       Could you spell that, please?


Putting someone through

·       One moment, please. I'll see if Dr. Raju is available.
·       I'll put you through.
·       I'll connect you.
·       I'm connecting you now.


Taking a message


·       Can I take a message?
·       Would you like to leave a message?
·       Can I give him/her a message?
·       I'll tell Dr. Raju that you called.
·       I'll ask him/her to call you as soon as possible.
·       Could you please leave your number? I shall ask him to get back to you.

No comments:

Summary of Paradise Lost Book 4 by John Milton

Satan lands atop Mount Niphates, just north of Paradise, the Garden of Eden. He becomes gripped with doubt about the task in front of him; s...