google.com, pub-9220471781781135, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Learn to speak English: ‘How are you?’ and ‘how do you do?’

Sunday, January 31, 2010

‘How are you?’ and ‘how do you do?’

While speaking to a familiar person, we ask, ‘How are you?’ The reply or response will be ‘I am fine’, ‘I’m fine’, ‘I am fine thank you’, ‘I’m fine thank you’, or ‘I’m fine’ how are you?’

Saying ‘How are you?’ is a form of greeting between friends.

When a person is introduced to a stranger, the person will say ‘How do you do?’
This means greeting. (Saying hello)

The response to this will be the same ‘How do you do?

Some other ways of greeting:

  • Glad to meet you.
  • Pleased to meet you.
  • Nice to meet you.

The responses are:

  • Glad to meet you too.
  • Pleased to meet you too.
  • Nice to meet you too.
  • My pleasure.
  • It’s my pleasure to meet you, too.
  • Same here.

When you are introduced to someone, say ‘Nice to meet you’.

When you take leave of an individual, it is more common to say ‘Nice meeting you’.

No comments:

Summary of Paradise Lost Book 4 by John Milton

Satan lands atop Mount Niphates, just north of Paradise, the Garden of Eden. He becomes gripped with doubt about the task in front of him; s...