google.com, pub-9220471781781135, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Learn to speak English: Advice and advise

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Advice and advise

Advice is a noun. This word is not countable. It is a recommendation. It means guidance. It is an opinion that someone offers.

“My teacher’s advice was sound and everyone listened to him.”

"I need someone to give me some advice."

“I need some advice”.

You can give someone a 'piece of advice'.

“Let me give you some advice about traveling.”

“His advice was very useful.”


Advise is a verb. It means "to give advice", “to recommend" or "counsel”. It refers to the act of giving advice.

"Ram advices Sita to see a lawyer."

"I would advise you to submit your resignation in view of this scandal."

"My lawyer has advised me to settle this matter out of court."

"He advises Latha to be nice to her parents."


Mary advised (verb) Tom not to see John. He should have followed her advice (noun).

No comments:

Summary of Paradise Lost Book 4 by John Milton

Satan lands atop Mount Niphates, just north of Paradise, the Garden of Eden. He becomes gripped with doubt about the task in front of him; s...